Firefighters say to be extremely careful using candles for lighting - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Firefighters say to be extremely careful using candles for lighting

A warning for homes without electricity -- firefighters say be extremely careful using candles and other flames for light.

Flames left alone can catch a home on fire -- always keep a fire extinguisher in the home or apartment.

If you're not sure how to use an extinguisher, firefighters say remember the word PASS, meaning Pull, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep the fire extinguisher back and forth at the base of the fire.

Firefighters also say using a generator the wrong way can be deadly.  Sgt. Jamie Hundley of the Worthington Fire Dept. says, "If you're going to use a generator, keep it outside of your home, don't use it in the garage, don't use it in the basement, make sure it stays outside the home so you don't suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning."

Hundley says a flashlight is always the safest light when the electric is off.

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2017 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.