Super Bowl pizza facts
Friday, January 30th 2009, 9:59 am EST
Super Bowl Pizza Facts
- Papa John's expects to sell more than 750,000 pizzas (6 million slices!) and 1,000,000 chicken wings on game day. It's one of the chain's biggest sales days of the year.
- Since last year's game in Phoenix, Papa John's has used more than one billion tomatoes to make its fresh pizza sauce, enough to go back and forth between Phoenix and this year's host city, Tampa, 36 times!
- 86% of Americans plan to eat during the Super Bowl, and more than half of them (52%) said they plan to eat pizza.
- 93% of Americans eat a slice of pizza at least once a month.
- Americans eat approximately 100 acres of pizza each day, or about 350 slices per second.
- The average American consumes 46 slices or 23 pounds of pizza per year.
- The term "pizza" was searched more than 60 million times in January last year according to the Yellow Pages Association, its highest total of the year. The term is searched more than a half billion times every year.
- 62% of Americans prefer meat toppings on their pizza, while 38% prefer vegetarian toppings.
- Most delivery drivers make $75 to $100 more in tips on Super Bowl Sunday than they would on a regular night.
- Papa John's expects to have three times as many employees working during the Super Bowl than during a regular day.
- The most food is consumed during halftime - six out of seven viewers said they planned to eat pizza during halftime.