LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Air show fans are ready for Saturday's Thunder Over Louisville display.
The Kentucky Derby Festival has released a minute-by-minute schedule of the military and civilian aircraft that will be flying over the Ohio River.
The air show begins at 3 p.m. on the waterfront. Highlights this year include F-15s, F-16s, A-10s, F-18s, a B-52, and C-130 along with warbirds and parachute teams.
The speed and the noise are incredible! pic.twitter.com/7I8huOsucV— Lawrence Smith (@LASmithReports) April 12, 2019
Some of the acts performing include the U.S. Navy F/A-18 Tac Demo Team, the U.S. Army Golden Knights, and the 123rd Kentucky Air National Guard.
New to the Air Show this year is Trojan Thunder, a 6-ship team of T-28 Trojans, who fly overhead in aerial formations with a backdrop of noise from the 9-cylinder Curtiss-Wright engines; as well as the Swamp Fox P-51 Mustang.
Favorites including Billy Werth, Matt Younkin’s Twin Beech 18 and the KC Flight Formation Team with its red, white and blue smoke are back this year.
The Thunder Over Louisville airshow starts at 3 p.m. The fireworks are scheduled to go off at 9:30. For Thunder Day information including a map of the venue, CLICK HERE.
Thunder Over Louisville Air Show and Fireworks Schedule:
PLEASE NOTE: Aircraft and times subject to change on show day.
- 9 a.m. North Great Lawn Opens (Pegasus Pin Admission)
- 11 a.m. Thunder Chow Wagon @ Waterfront Park opens, Thunder FoodFest opens (Pegasus Pin admission),
- Military Interactive Display Area on the South Great Lawn opens, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere opens (Pegasus Pin Admission), ThunderWear merchandise booths open at 7 locations, Ford’s Thunder on the Ground opens (ALL interactive experiences)
- 12 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. 106.9 PLAY Pre-Thunder Show
- 12-7 p.m.M Pegasus Pin & Pin Trading booths open at 5 locations
- 12:30-2:30 p.m. BANNER TOWS Begin on both sides of river
- 2 p.m. - Olivia and Lindsey Henken perform on the Miller Lite Music Stage inside the Thunder Chow Wagon
- 2:30-11 p.m. OHIO RIVER CLOSED TO COMMERCIAL TRAFFIC FOR AIR SHOW
- 3 p.m. - F-16 - Show Opening
- 3:08 p.m. - U.S. Army Golden Knights
- 3:28 p.m. - Trojan Thunder: T-28
- 3:40 p.m. - Lee Leet: Super Tucano
- 3:52 p.m. - CF-18: 401 Tactical Fighter Squadron Cold Lake, Royal Canadian Air Force
- 4 p.m. - CT-142 Gonzo: 402 Squadron Winnipeg, Royal Canadian Air Force
- 4:06 p.m. - Canadian CH-130
- 4:10 p.m. - CT-155 Hawk: 419 Squadron Cold Lake, Royal Canadian Air Force
- 4:18 p.m. - KC Flight: RV-4 Color Smoke trails
- 4:30 p.m. - C-17: 157th Airlift Wing, Shepherd Field Air National Guard Base, West Virginia
- 4:34 p.m. - Billy Werth: Pitts S2C
- 4:46 p.m. - C-130 J & 123rd Airlift Wing, STS HALO
- 4:54 p.m. - Matt Younkin Twin Beech
- 5:06 p.m. - C-130H: 123rd Airlift Wing, KYANG, Air Drop
- 5:14 p.m. - Swampfox P-51 Mustang Demo
- 5:24 p.m. - LMPD Air Operations
- 5:39 p.m. - CH-60
- 5:47 p.m. - A-10 Thunderbolt, 163 Fighter Squadron, Indiana Air National Guard
- 5:49 p.m. - B-52: 2nd Bomb Wing Barksdale U.S. Air Force Base, Louisiana
- 6:09 p.m. - UPS -747-8
- 6:19 p.m. - AH-1/UH-1: HMLA 773 Marine Raider Helicopter Squadron Demo
- 6:29 p.m. - F/A-18: VFA-106 Super Hornet Tac Demo, U.S. Navy
- 6:44 p.m. - Legacy Flight
- 6:54 p.m. - HC-130: Patrick Air Force Base, Florida
- 6:59 p.m. - MH-53
- 7:04 p.m. - Acemaker T-33: Greg Coyler
- 7:16 p.m. - T-38
- 7:20 p.m. - C-17: 445th Airlift Wing, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
- 7:24 p.m. - F-15C: 159th Fighter Wing Louisiana Air National Guard
- 7:29 p.m. - Trojan Thunder: T-28
- 7:41 p.m. - Billy Werth: Pitts S2C
- 7:53 p.m. - T-6: 71st Flying Training Wing Vance Air Force Base, Oklahoma
- 7:57 p.m. - Carbon Cub & Barges
- 8:27 p.m. - KC Flight: RV-4 Color Smoke trails
- 8:39 p.m. - U.S. Army Golden Knights
- 8:59 p.m. - Matt Younkin Twin Beech
- 9-9:10 p.m. Meijer Moment (Thunder Fans Help Light Up the Waterfront)
- 9:11 p.m. - American Flags
- 9:30 p.m. - Boom! Fireworks!
- 10 p.m. Thunder FoodFest Continues at the Chow Wagon until 11 p.m.
- 11 p.m. Ohio River opens to normal traffic
For information on Thunder Over Louisville and all Kentucky Derby Festival events, CLICK HERE.
The Kentucky Derby Festival has set up guidelines for all viewing areas within the Thunder venue on the Kentucky side. Among the rules in place this year:
- All persons and parcels are subject to search.
- No Drones or unmanned aircraft - There is a five mile no-fly zone around the Thunder venue. Any drones on site could shut down the air show. Violators face confiscation and up to an $11,000 fine.
- No Tents or Canopies of any kind will be allowed within Waterfront Park.
- No taping or roping off of larges areas will be allowed.
- No overnight camping allowed in Waterfront Park or the overall event area. Waterfront Park officially closes at 11 p.m. on Friday Night and will open at 9 a.m. on Saturday
- Plastic containers, cans and food are permitted.
- Beer is also available at the Chow Wagon at Waterfront Park, North Great Lawn, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere and Big Four Lawn.
- No grills are allowed within the Thunder venue.
- No bikes, skateboards or skates are allowed in the event venue, including rental bikes and scooters.
- Please leave any pets at home.
- A picnic blanket or tarp (limited to 10’x10′) and lawn chairs are allowed.
- FOOD or DRINK is permitted in the North Great Lawn viewing area, Meijer Family Fun Zone on the West Belvedere, and other areas of the Thunder venue.
Copyright 2019 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.