IMAGES: Fire destroys storage building at GE's Appliance Park; production canceled through next week

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- An early morning fire destroyed building 6 at GE's Appliance Park Friday.

At least 200 firefighters spent the day Friday battling the massive six-alarm fire.

In a statement sent to WDRB just after 2 p.m., Kim Freeman, a spokesperson for GE said the fire is contained.

"Our first priority today has been to keep people safe and get the blaze under control," Freeman said. "We want to thank fire officials and emergency responders for their outstanding service in that regard. We feel very fortunate that due to Good Friday being a holiday for employees that there were limited personnel working in Appliance Park today"

Freeman says all production has been canceled for the rest of the day "and through next week to replenish the production parts housed in building 6 and to develop a thorough evaluation of all other buildings."

Most of building 6, which is mainly used for storage and finance offices, collapsed sometime before 8:30 a.m.

Freeman says they have already found alternate space for building 6 warehouse operations.

We talked to an employee who says a couple hundred people work in Building 6, but it was closed for Good Friday, a company holiday, and he doesn't believe anyone was inside.

The flames and smoke were visible for miles, and the fire continued burning out of control several hours after it started, and fire officials expected to remain on the scene into the night. 

"The fire itself is confined to that area (Building 6)," said Capt. Sal Melendez with Louisville Fire & Rescue. "However, it's not still under control. So units are expected to be there for the remainder of the day and through the evening."

One employee we spoke with was shocked to see the building destroyed.

"It just kind of hurts to see the place where you work and enjoy to be going up in smoke right now," said Marshall Young, and electronic technician with GE Energy Management.

The cause of the fire has not been determined.

"We have no indication as to what caused that fire," said Louisville Fire spokesman Sal Melendez, during a press conference on Friday. The investigation continues.

Copyright 2015 WDRB News. All rights reserved.