Man fatally shot by sheriff's deputies wasn't suspect they sought

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- The man killed by Jefferson County Sheriff's deputies on Tuesday after attempting to serve a warrant was not the person authorities were looking for.

The Jefferson County coroner's office identified the man killed as Albert William Keyes, 53. He was shot after he fled and pulled a knife after deputies tried to serve a felony flagrant non-support warrant at his home, according to the sheriff's office.

Keyes had a federal arrest warrant for allegedly robbing a U.S. Bank in West Carrollton, Ohio on Feb. 7 and a First Federal Bank in Burns, Tenn. on Feb. 26, according to criminal complaints. He had no criminal history in Jefferson County.

Lt. Col. Carl Yates, a spokesman for the sheriff's office, confirmed that deputies were actually trying to serve a warrant for Christopher Smolik, who used to live in the residence where Keyes lived off Newburg Road.

READ: Christopher Smolik owes nearly $20K in child support, police say

In an interview with WDRB, Smolik said he lived in the home about six months ago and has a flagrant non-support warrant issued out of Trimble County. Smolik's criminal history includes a felony non-support case in Trimble. He was found guilty on non-support in 2007 and sentenced to 270 days in jail, which was conditionally discharged for two years.

"I feel like it's my fault," Smolik said. "... He had some issues going on obviously. That deputy was there for something I did."

Smolik said he planned to turn himself in.

Smolik was convicted last year of identify theft in Jefferson County and given probation in September. He was convicted in 2012 of theft and had a sentence of a year in jail conditionally discharged for two years, according to court records. 

On Tuesday at about 10 a.m., Jefferson County Sheriff's Deputy Rick Wilkerson knocked on the door of a residence at the Bluegrass Trailer Park on Newburg Road to serve the warrant. When Keyes answered the door, he allegedly denied being the person the deputies were looking for. Wilkerson then asked him to provide identification, but instead, he ran out the back and jumped in his truck and drove away.

Authorities say he drove to the parking lot of HD Supply, a nearby company. Sheriff's deputies pursued him, and when he got out of his truck, he allegedly pulled a knife.

That's when, authorities say, Deputy Ben Bryant and Deputy Larry Elery shot Keyes.

Deputy Daniel Gilbert attempted to administer CPR, but he was ultimately unsuccessful.

Deputy Coroner Eddie Robinson said Keyed was pronounced dead from multiple gunshot wounds at 10:05 a.m.

The two deputies are on paid administrative leave.

Keyes' neighbors say they're shocked by the incident.

"He just moved in, like, we really only seen him, like, one time," said neighbor Emily Benham.

"A few minutes later, I saw him [a deputy] reach for his gun and turn toward the side of the building," she said. "He was, like, 'hey, where are you going?' Then I heard a car speed off."

According to a federal criminal complaint out of Tennessee, Keyes entered a US Bank in West Carrollton, Ohio last month and presented a robbery demand note that said, "No die packs both drawers make this easy."

The robber, according to the complaint, pulled a semi-automatic handgun from his waistband and displayed it to the teller, who gave him about $5,000. "Thank you," the robber responded.

On Feb. 26, a similar robbery took place in Burns, Tenn., with the suspect also saying "Thank you" as he left.


Copyright 2014 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.