Christopher Bauda

Christopher Bauda (Source: Louisville Metro Corrections)

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Louisville man accused of selling a teenage girl for sex appeared before a judge Monday morning.

A not-guilty plea was entered on behalf of 34-year-old Chris Bauda. He's facing charges of human trafficking as well as engaging in an unlawful transaction with a minor.

Police say he sold a teenage girl for sex in three different states.

Detectives say they connected Bauda to the victim through his phone, social media and online sex ads.

An arrest warrant says Bauda also tried selling an underage girl to an undercover police officer for $100.

Bauda was also charged in a similar case with a separate victim in June.

Bauda is being represented by Louisville attorney Steve Schroering.

"I've represented Mr. Bauda for several months. He was charged on June 10 with these identical charges involving a different 17-year-old alleged victim," Schroering said during Monday's arraignment.

Schroering pointed out what happened after Bauda was arrested in June.

"He has posted a $25,000 full cash bond and was out and had gotten a job and, like I said, had picked up no new offenses."

Bauda was arrested again on Saturday, but Schroering said the recent arrest is connected to the June case.

"It appears, the attorney general's office, in their investigation, identified a second 17-year-old alleged victim, added that charge in late December and an arrest warrant was issued," said Schroering. 

"This is not uncommon; it's more uncommon that he got caught doing it, quite frankly," said Amy Leenerts, Founder and Executive Director of Free2Hope. 

Free2Hope was created to help victims of sex trafficking. Leenerts said it happens every day and often in plain sight.

"It's going on constantly, there isn't a time when it's not going on," she said. "I am thrilled but it's just a drop in the pan."

Leenerts explained why she believes there's more to this story.

"If there's two, there's probably more," she said.

If there are more victims, the judge took steps to make it more difficult for Bauda to communicate by ordering him to stay off social media. He was also ordered to have no contact with the victims.

Despite paying a $25,000 cash bond in June, the judge set another bond at $10,000 cash. 

Right now, Bauda is scheduled to be back in court on Jan. 12.

Previous stories:

Copyright 2021 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.