LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Louisville Metro Police have arrested the man accused of punching Mayor Greg Fischer at Fourth Street Live! Saturday evening.

Antwon M. Brown, 30, of Louisville, was arrested and charged with assault on Tuesday.

According to an arrest warrant, Brown hit Fischer "in the lower face/neck area" with his fist, knocking him to the ground and causing "soreness to the right side of his neck and visible redness to the area." Following the incident, police said Brown "walked off," calling the attack "totally unprovoked."

Brown will be arraigned on Wednesday morning. It's not the first time he's faced assault charges. According to his criminal history, Brown was charged with assault in 2017 and 2019. Both cases were amended to misdemeanor harassment charges with no jail time.

LMPD said the mayor is "well" and "appreciates the support he has received." He said Tuesday that he didn't see the punch coming until just before impact, and was startled by the blow more than anything.

"And out of nowhere appeared this person, and I saw the arm coming at me right there ... took the blow, got down, channeled my inner Muhammad Ali, said 'I gotta get right back up,' glad to see I can still take a punch," he said. "Finding the people who did this and hold them accountable, because you gotta send a message that this is not allowed in a civil society like we have."

Saturday's attack was captured on surveillance video at the entertainment district in downtown Louisville. Police also released images of the person suspected of punching Fischer, asking the public for help identifying him.

Police were able to identify Brown as a suspect through their investigation, according to the warrant, and saw him on surveillance video going into his apartment complex "wearing the same clothing."

Fischer was evaluated by EMS after the incident, and on Tuesday reiterated that he's OK. 

"You know it was a startling thing," he said. "But your instincts are to get right back up and just kind of keep doing what you were doing. Fortunately, I was not hurt and everything worked out just fine."

Police said the investigation into Saturday's incident is ongoing.

This story may be updated.

Related Stories:

Copyright 2022 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.