Uber driver dead after fight with customer; LMPD says no charges filed

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- An Uber ride took an unexpected turn, when the driver died after a fight with a passenger.

So far, the rider has not been charged -- and police say the case is about more than a simple confrontation.

Andrew Wallace says he grew up apart from his father, Michael Wallace. So when he turned 18, he made it his mission to get to know him better.

"He loved his family and he loved everyone," he said. "He was very caring and energetic and loved to have fun."

So when the call came saying his father was hospitalized in grave condition, Andrew Wallace says he felt like he lost his chance to reconnect.

Michael Wallace, an Uber driver, died on Tuesday, three days after a confrontation with one of his customers in front of the Courtyard Marriott Louisville East at 9600 Blairwood Road in the Jeffersontown area.

"Obviously nobody deserves this," Andrew Wallace said.

Police say Michael Wallace was picking up a group of four in town from outside Indianapolis, but a fight broke out with one of them over the price of the ride.

"They said another passenger began to call police right away, so they were on their way, and during the fight, he said he couldn't breathe and turned purple and hit the ground," Andrew Wallace said.

Police say the car never even left the Marriott parking lot. In fact, it was the passengers who called 911, when Wallace went into distress -- and when emergency crews arrived, they were performing CPR.

"Right now we haven't placed any charges," explained Lt. Emily McKinley, head of the Louisville Metro Police Homicide Unit. "We didn't see anything criminal off hand at the start, but will see once we get the autopsy results what that reveals."

We're told Wallace only had a black eye and a cut lip from the fight.

"He had heart issues," Andrew Wallace said of his father. "They found out about a year ago, and it was the same issue his mom had."

That means detectives have to walk through a complicated medical web: Did the 37-year-old Uber driver die from his medical condition, or did the fight with his customer cause his death?

"I don't have those answers right now," McKinley said.

Either way, it leaves his son saying goodbye to a dad he was just getting to know.

"I was in shock," Andrew Wallace said. "I couldn't believe that he was gone."

A GoFundMe account was set up to raise funds to help cover Michael Wallace's funeral costs. To donate, CLICK HERE.

On Thursday, a spokeswoman from Uber released a statement that said:

"Our deepest thoughts are with all those grieving for the loss of their loved one. We will support the Louisville Metro Police Department's active investigation in every way possible."

Copyright 2018 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.