5-year-old Louisiana girl saves blind grandma from burning home

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Paying attention in class paid off for a 5-year-old Louisiana girl, who helped save her blind grandma from their burning home.

Cloe Woods was in bed when the stove caught fire.

She jumped out of bed, ran into her grandmother's room and helped led her to safety.

Cloe says she got her heroism from a fire safety lesson she'd learned during a school field trip.

"She told my mom to hold on to her shoulder, and that they've got to get out of the house," Cloe's mother said.

Once they got outside, Cloe ran door-to-door looking for water to pour on the fire.

"It could have been tragic," said Chief John Hellmers with the Kenner Fire Department. 

"She saved her grandmothers' life and saved her own life."

 Copyright 2016 WDRB Media. All rights reserved.