20 oz High Quality Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
3 Cloves Garlic
7 oz Flat Tu Pacolypse Stout or any dark beer (Not Stale)
1 oz Chipotle in Adobe Sauce. Add more to increase heat. (Available in most grocery stores. Can also use your favorite hot sauce.)
1 Tbsp Mustard Powder or Dry Mustard
3 turns Black Pepper
Place all ingredients but cheese into food processor until almost smooth. Cube and add cheddar cheese to food processor. Process entire mixture until smooth. Once smooth place in container. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
(Shopping List: Fried Green Tomatoes, Shrimp, Crab, Bacon, Spinach, Mornay)
Green Tomatoes, whole – 2
Rock Shrimp (35-40 Shrimp) – 1 lb
Dungeness Crab – 3/4 lb
Baby Spinach – 4 cups
Cherry Tomatoes – 12
Bacon – 8 slices
Large Shrimp (optional for garnish) – 8
Milk – 3 cups
Cream – 2 cups
Butter – 2 ounces, plus an additional 2 ounces for cooking
Flour – 2 ounces for roux, plus an additional 2 cups for breading
Gruyere Cheese (or Swiss), shredded – 2 cups plus an additional half cup for Not Brown
Eggs – 4
Panko Breadcrumbs – 2 cup
Vegetable Oil – 4 cups (refer to Green Tomato Frying Step)
Mornay (cheese gravy)
- Melt 2 ounces (by weight) of butter in pan, add 2 ounces of flour. Stir constantly until mixture begins to take some color and smell slightly nutty and forms a blond roux.
- Incorporate 3 cups milk into roux, and whisk to combine, bring to a simmer and allow to simmer until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add 2 cups cheese and 2 cups cream, and continue to whisk until all cheese has melted. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
- Store in refrigerator until needed – can be made several days in advance.
- Slice green tomatoes at ¼ inch, making sure to have at least 8 slices.
- Bread green tomatoes using the 3-step breading procedure outlined as follows:
- Coat green tomato slice in seasoned flour
- Then coat in egg wash (raw whole eggs whisked, with a touch of water)
- Then toss in panko breadcrumbs until coated
- Store in refrigerator until required (can be made up to 1 day ahead)
Bacon – cook all 8 slices of bacon ahead of time, and chop into small pieces. Store in refrigerator until needed.
Cherry Tomatoes – cut in half, in order to have 24 halves – reserve until needed.
Not Brown: Cooking and Assembly:
- Pour vegetable oil into pot and heat to 350 degrees (use a thermometer to measure temperature) Be very careful, oil is both very hot and flammable.
- Deep Fat Fry Green Tomatoes in 350 degree oil until brown and crispy on all sides. Remove, season, and drain on paper towel.
- Add 2 ounces of butter to large sauté pan, heat.
- Add 1 pound of rock shrimp to pan and sauté until almost done.
- Add 12 ounces of crab to pan, and sauté until both crab and shrimp are thoroughly cooked.
- Add 1 quart of Mornay to seafood, as well as 4 cups of spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir. Continue cooking until all spinach has begun to wilt.
- Assemble Green Tomatoes in oven proof bowls using the following method: Place approximately 1/8 of your seafood sauce into the bottom of 4 bowls. Place 1 green tomato slice in the center. Top green tomato with a mound of cooked shrimp/crab/spinach. Place 2nd green tomato slice directly on top of seafood, forming a tower. Divide remaining sauce amongst all 4 bowls, pouring over and around the green tomatoes. Top with cherry tomato halves, slices of chopped bacon, and sprinkle with shredded gruyere cheese. Place in oven under broiler for approximately 3 minutes until cheese begins to bubble and brown.
- Remove from oven and serve in bowl – bowls will be very hot.