(FOX NEWS) -- Firefighters in England were called to "save the bacon" Saturday after a pig sparked a fire in its pen by swallowing a pedometer which then combusted "after nature had taken its course," officials said.
Fire crews responded to the 800-square-foot (75 square meters) blaze at four pig pens on a farm near Bramham, Leeds, around 1:30 p.m., the North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said.
"Should be an oink not a tweet," the service wrote on Twitter. "A hose reel was used to extinguish the fire and save the bacon."
13:37 Should be an oink not a tweet. Tadcaster and Knaresbororough firecrews attended a fire to 4 pigpens near Bramham. No pigs harmed. Cause of fire attributed to a battery powered pedometer carried by one of the pigs (to prove it was free-range), which was eaten by the other1/2— North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service (@NorthYorksFire) March 7, 2020
Firefighters believe that copper from the pedometer’s batteries reacted with the pig’s excrement and dry hay to ignite the fire.
The pedometers - gadgets that measure the number of steps its wearer takes - were worn by the pigs to prove they were free-range, the fire service said.
No animals or humans were hurt in the fire.
Copyright 2020 WDRB Media and Fox News. All rights reserved.