Police arrest suspect weeks after shooting victim dies at Univer - WDRB 41 Louisville News

Police arrest suspect weeks after shooting victim dies at University Hospital

Posted: Updated:
John Johnson (source: Louisville Metro Corrections) John Johnson (source: Louisville Metro Corrections)
Damone Jones Damone Jones

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Louisville man has been arrested weeks after a husband and father died at University Hospital from injuries sustained in a shooting.

It happened on April 15 -- and police say they had a hard time finding the original crime scene.

But according to an arrest report, the shooting happened in the Chickasaw neighborhood, inside a home in the 4200 block of Winnrose Way, near the intersection of Cecil Avenue and Hale Avenue.

That's where police say 33-year-old Damone Jones was shot. Police say 34-year-old John Johnson and an unknown accomplice were the only other people inside the home when Jones was shot -- and neither of them called police. Instead, police say both suspects ran away.

Lt. Emily McKinley, head of the Louisville Metro Police Homicide Unit, says Jones was eventually taken to the University Hospital, where he later died in surgery. McKinley said he was not transported by EMS, but by people who knew him, but weren't familiar with the layout of the city.

"They were not from Louisville, they were not familiar with their surroundings, so, they didn't know exactly where the scene was," Lt. McKinley said.

In fact, police say they had a difficult time determining where the scene was. Days after the shooting, Lt. McKinley was asking the public for help in determining where Jones had been shot, adding that the only thing police knew was that it was somewhere west of downtown Louisville.

"Maybe west of 9th Street, around the Broadway corridor ... taking it down, I would take it all the way down to Shawnee Park," Lt. McKinley said.

When police identified the Winnrose Way location and searched it, they say they saw that it had been "altered" and attempts were made to destroy evidence.

Johnson was arrested on Wednesday night and charged with complicity to murder and tampering with physical evidence. He is currently being held in Louisville Metro Corrections.

The identity and status of his alleged accomplice is not known.

On Thursday morning, Johnson appeared before a judge and a not-guilty plea was entered on his behalf. His attorney, Mark Gaston, disputed some of the claims made in the arrest report.

"The gentleman who is now deceased actually came to my client's residence and after he was shot," said Gaston. "My client assisted him in getting in his wife's car. His wife took him to the hospital. So the commentary about some of the stuff that's in that citation is not accurate." 

Johnson is not allowed to have firearms. Gaston asked for a bond reduction, but the judge denied that request and kept the bond at $100,000, full cash.

For now, a family is left grieving. Evelyn Sherley, the victim's mother-in-law, says it's a shame Jones' children don't have a father any more.

"And whoever done it, they should be ashamed of themself," Sherley said.

"My son, he loved his uncle Damone. We a close family," said Kandyce Trice, Jones' niece.

Trice said the family had recently returned from a family vacation.

"We just got back from Myrtle Beach last weekend," she said in April.


Police need help finding crime scene after shooting victim dies at hospital

Copyright 2017 by WDRB News. All rights reserved.

  • Sign Up for WDRB's Sports Newsletter

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2018 WDRB. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.