Wednesday, April 16 2014 10:54 PM EDT2014-04-17 02:54:16 GMT
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) --The Rangers are the Army's most elite soldiers who are put into some of the most dangerous situations in Afghanistan. In a story you'll only see on WDRB we got a rare look atMore >>
The Army Rangers choose Fort Knox as the location to prepare for the 3rd Battalion's 20th deployment to Afghanistan.More >>
Follow the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Tweets from the WDRB Newsroom, Reporters and Anchors.More >>
Now that spring is here, people are eager to get outside, fire up the grills and cook mouthwatering beef recipes. The Kentucky Beef Council and The Holland Grill Company are teaming up for this year's Get Your Grill On Media Tour featuring lean beef recipes great for summer grilling! All through May, consumers have a chance for to register to win an Epic Holland Grill valued at over $850 on www.kybeef.com.
Alison Smith with the Kentucky Beef Council came by to show us how to make some delicious summer recipes.
1. Grate peel and squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from orange; reserve juice. Cut beef steak into 1-1/4-inch pieces. Combine orange peel, cilantro, paprika, and ground red pepper, if desired, in small bowl. Place beef and 2-1/2 tablespoons cilantro mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Place remaining cilantro mixture and fruit in separate food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat. Close bags securely.Marinate beef and fruit in refrigerator 15 minutes to 2 hours.
2. Soak eight 9-inch bamboo skewers in water 10 minutes; drain. Thread beef onto four skewers. Thread fruit onto remaining four separate skewers.
3. Place kabobs on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill beef kabobs, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 11 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Grill fruit kabobs 5 to 7 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown, turning once.
4. Serve with beef with salt and pepper, as desired. Drizzle reserved orange juice over fruit kabobs.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 239 calories; 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 70 mg cholesterol; 57 mg sodium; 20 g carbohydrate; 2.4 g fiber; 27 g protein; 11.3 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 2.1 mg iron; 31.0 mcg selenium; 5.0 mg zinc; 107.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of iron.@
Spicy Cheeseburger Sliders
Total Recipe Time: 25 to 30 minutes
1 pound ground beef (96% lean)
9 small whole wheat hamburger buns, split, divided
1. Tear one hamburger bun into pieces. Place in food processor or blender container. Cover; pulse on and off, to form fine crumbs.
2. Combine bread crumbs, beef, garlic and chili powder in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick mini patties.
3. Place patties on grill over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 9 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 9 to 10 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally. Evenly top with cheese during last minute of grilling.
4. Place burgers on bottoms of remaining eight buns. Top with desired Toppings. Close sandwiches.
Makes 8 sliders
Cook's Tip: One-half teaspoon chili powder may be substituted for chipotle chili powder.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 201 calories; 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 0 g monounsaturated fat); 40 mg cholesterol; 266 mg sodium; 21 g carbohydrate; 3.1 g fiber; 16 g protein; 4.1 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.1 mcg vitamin B12; 2.3 mg iron; 28.8 mcg selenium; 3.4 mg zinc; 50.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and iron.