New judge in Stanley Dishon case also likely to step aside because of link to case

LOUISVILLE, KY., (WDRB) -- After Stanley Dishon drove to the home of his 17-year-old niece, Jessica Dishon, on Sept. 10, 1999, to confront her, the two argued and he chased her around the yard, choking the teen before she fell, according to recently released court records. 

Stanley Dishon then went inside the teen's home, grabbed a scarf and subsequently strangled her, according to the records released this week in his murder case.

But the records, more than 1,000 pages, do not say where investigators got that information. And in a summary of interviews with Stanley Dishon, he denies having anything to do with the long-unsolved murder.

Prosecutors did not return e-mails or phone calls Friday about the information filed and other evidence they may have against Dishon.

The Bullitt Commonwealth's Attorney's office also turned over to the defense a copy of the grand jury testimony that led to the October murder indictment of Stanley Dishon. That testimony was not in the public file.

Much like the last time an arrest was made in the Dishon case -- a mistrial was declared when David "Bucky" Brooks was tried for the murder a decade ago -- the evidence released so far against Stanley Dishon appears circumstantial.

The evidence released thus far includes a summary of an interview with a former cell-mate of Stanley Dishon, who says he confessed, as well as descriptions of Dishon's actions around the time of Jessica's disappearance and death and his criminal history of sexually abusing young girls.

In June, an inmate at the Kentucky State Reformatory told investigators that Dishon had admitted to him several times that he sexually assaulted and later strangled his niece, according to the records.

The inmate, who is not named in the summary of his interview, first gave this information to Louisville Metro Police, who were investigating a separate case. The inmate said Stanley Dishon told him Kentucky State Police had, in the past, interviewed him about Jessica's murder but he did not confess.

There is also a "case timeline" in the records released that describe events that allegedly took place on the day Jessica Dishon disappeared.

The timeline states that Stanley Dishon drove to Bullitt Central High School to find Jessica "to confront her over all of his anger." Her vehicle was not there, so Stanley Dishon drove to her home on Deatsville Road, according to the timeline, where the two got into an argument before he began to choke her. She fell down and he went into the home to get a scarf and strangled her. The timeline does not mention Stanley Dishon sexually assaulting his niece or say what he did with the body before it was found 17 days later by a bus driver.

Asked where the information from the timeline came from, Bullitt County Det. Lynn Hunt, who summarized the investigation in the court documents, said "You're kidding me, I'm not going to answer those questions."

She then hung up the phone on a reporter.

In a summary of an interview with Stanley Dishon in August, he denied any involvement in her murder, saying he was at work at the time. But he used derogatory terms in describing her and "appeared genuinely angry with emotion when speaking" about the teen, according to the records.

Investigators say in the records that Stanley Dishon lied repeatedly in interviews with them:

Dishon said he learned from his brother Mike that Jessica was missing, which investigators say is untrue.

He said he took three weeks off work to help look for Jessica when she was missing, which was found to be false.

Police also couldn't verify that he worked all day the day she died.

He lied about the condition of Jessica's body and the sexual abuse charges against him involving his children, according to the summary.

At one point, Dishon told investigators he wanted to tell them the truth and was "shaking so badly that he cannot sit still in his chair," according to a summary of the Aug. 9 interview.

Stanley Dishon also told investigators he hadn't heard anything about Jessica's case in 14 years, but Hunt says in her summary that "it is evident from the two interviews from the informants that he has been discussing it." There is only a summary of one informant interview in the records released so far.

When Hunt lays out the case against him to Stanley Dishon, "he denies every movement almost before I can get it out of my mouth," she writes.

At one point, Hunt said that the other detective with her during the interview got Dishon so confused on his whereabouts that he "just begins to lie and he cannot stop."

And she also said that Dishon contradicted himself on the last time he saw his niece. He referred to Jessica in a vulgar term before saying that he never hurt her, according to the summary.

There is no transcript or audio of the Stanley Dishon interview currently in the file.

In an interview with investigators this summer, Jessica's father, Mike, said Stanley, his brother, lived with his family for years, until Jessica was about 13, and that Stanley told him he had a "premonition" after the teen disappeared that she was "buried in the river bottoms."

Because of that premonition, the family searched that area, but about two miles from where Jessica would later be found, Stanley had to leave because he was feeling sick, according to a summary of the Mike Dishon interview.

Jessica's body was found 17 days later in that wooded area a few miles from her home known as the river bottoms.

After the family learned Jessica's body had been found, Mike Dishon said Stanley began to vomit and had to be driven home. And Mike Dishon said Stanley told him he believed David Brooks killed Jessica.

Carol Ann Waters, the former wife of Stanley Dishon, said in July that she believed it was odd no law enforcement ever talked to her husband about Jessica's disappearance. She said he acted "very nervous and peculiar" while the teen was missing, unable to sleep and was "obsessed with watching the television before and after her disappearance."

After Jessica's body was found, Waters told investigators Stanley's sleeping patterns got worse.

Waters said her two daughters were sexually abused by Dishon, who was already in prison serving time for unrelated sex crimes when he was indicted for Jessica's murder.

According to the records, Stanley Dishon was concerned about two neighbors seeing him at Jessica's home that morning, but one has died and the other possible neighbor has Parkinson's disease and was not interviewed.  The witnesses who gave investigators that information are  listed as "X & Y" in court records.

The new evidence also sheds lights on the initial investigation. Sheriff Dave Greenwell, who as a rookie deputy was the first investigator on the scene when Jessica disappeared, said he repeatedly asked then Det. Charles Mann to come to the scene, after finding one of Jessica's shoes. Mann, who is now deceased, refused to come to the scene, saying Jessica would return home on her own.

And Greenwell said he turned over his photos of the scene and notes he took to the other detective at the time, Jim Adams. That evidence has never been located.

Much of the 1,128 pages of evidence released is the old investigation into Brooks, Dishon's former neighbor who was charged with the crime in 2001.

During his 2003 trial, Charles Mann's statement about Brooks' failed polygraph test led the judge to declare a mistrial because lie detector test results are not admissible. The charges against Brooks were later dropped.

The evidence released also includes the investigation into two men, James Coulter and Jason Dunford, who were seen with Jessica the night before she disappeared.

In 2005, for example, a witness told investigators that Jessica was killed because she owed Dunford money.

On Jan. 15, 2013, Mike Dishon, Jessica's father, called Hunt asking that she look further into Coulter and Dunford, according to the records.

But Hunt wrote that Dunford and Coulter had already been cleared by the FBI and follow-up interviews with detectives.

On June 6, Hunt got a call from Louisville Metro Police Detective Gary Huffman about an interview he was having with an inmate in an unrelated case. At the conclusion of the interview, Huffman asked the inmate if he knew of any unsolved homicides, according to a summary by Hunt.

The inmate then began discussing "an old cell-mate he once had and still converses with that strangled his niece," according to Hunt's summary.

The summary talks about how Jessica's body was moved twice, the second time about 20 feet closer to the road "so that passersby would notice."

The only offer discussed with the inmate for his cooperation was a statement to the parole board.

Other documents in the file are from Stanley Dishon's past sexual abuse cases.

Nearly a decade ago, Dishon pleaded guilty to charges that he sexually abused his daughter and step-daughter. And recently he was indicted for allegedly forcing a family member to have sex between 1982 and 1987.

One witness, Jessica's next-door neighbor at the time she disappeared, told investigators in August that Stanley Dishon behaved inappropriately toward Jessica, slapping her buttocks when she would walk by.

The former neighbor, Margie Karger, said Jessica would yell at her uncle and threaten to tell on him if the behavior continued.

He is scheduled to stand trial in the murder case on Sept. 22, 2014. Prosecutors have not yet indicated if they will seek the death penalty.

Bullitt Commonwealth's Attorney Mike Mann has said his office will not talk about evidence in the case.  

Copyright 2014 WDRB News. All rights reserved.