LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- A Kentucky man who killed three students and wounded five more in a school shooting 25 years ago will have to wait another week to learn his fate in a high-stakes hearing that could see him released or denied the chance to ever leave prison.

Michael Carneal was a 14-year-old freshman on Dec. 1, 1997, when he fired a stolen pistol at a before-school prayer group in the lobby of Heath High School, near Paducah, Kentucky. He opened fire on a prayer group killing three students and injuring five others.

Carneal was given the maximum sentence possible at the time for someone his age — life in prison but with the possibility of parole. Now at age 39, Carneal is trying to convince the parole board he deserves to be freed. 

At a hearing on Tuesday, a two-person panel of the Kentucky Parole Board said they were referring his case to the full board, which meets on Monday, Sept. 26. Only the full board has the power to order Carneal to serve out his full sentence without another chance at parole.

During the hearing, Carneal pleaded his case for release. "I've had 25 years to prepare for today, and it still doesn't seem like it's happening." 

Carneal said he has been diagnosed with several mental health issues, and he admits he has long heard voices in his head -- including the day of the shooting in 1997.

"I was hearing things. And I was extremely hyper-suspicious. And I had felt for years feeling alienated and different," Carneal said.

"I was hearing in my head to do certain things, but I should have known that stealing guns ... was going to lead to something terrible," Carneal told the panel on Tuesday.

He said that he has been receiving therapy and taking psychiatric medications in prison. He still hears voices but has learned to ignore them, he said.

Asked when was the last time he heard voices, Carneal said that a couple of days ago he heard voices telling him to jump off the stairs but said he didn't follow through. He knows when to ignore such voices.

"I know now that that's not something that I should do," he said. "And I'm able to not do it and rationalize that it's not something that I should do. And what I'm hearing is not real."

Parole Board Chair Ladeidra Jones told Carneal that his inmate file lists his mental health prognosis as "poor." Even with mental health services, he is still experiencing paranoid thoughts with violent imagery, she said.

Asked how the board could be assured that he would not act on those thoughts, he said because he hasn't acted on them for many years.

Carneal said he would be able to do good in the world if he were released but he did not offer any specific plans.

Carneal said he plans to live with his parents and get a job in fast food or sanitation.

"It doesn't have to be something grand," he said. "Every little thing you do affects somebody. It could be listening to someone, carrying something. I would like to do something in the future that could contribute to society."

Carneal said the shooting happened because of a combination of factors that included his mental health and immaturity but he added that it was "not justified at all. There's no excuse for it at all."

His parole hearing began Monday with testimony from those injured and close family of those killed, several of whom had considered Carneal a friend.

Missy Jenkins Smith, who was paralyzed by one of Carneal's bullets and uses a wheelchair, said there are too many "what ifs" to release him. She asked, what if he stops taking his medication? What if his medication stops working?

"Continuing his life in prison is the only way his victims can feel comfortable and safe," she said.


Three students were killed in the 1997 shooting at Heath High School in Paducah, Kentucky (left to right) Jessica James, 17, and Kayce Steger 15 and Nicole Hadley, 14. Five others were injured. 

Killed in the shooting were 14-year-old Nicole Hadley, 17-year-old Jessica James, and 15-year-old Kayce Steger. Jenkins Smith said it would be unfair to them and their loved ones for Carneal to be set free.

"They will forever be a 17-year-old, a 14-year-old, and a 15-year-old, allowed only one full decade of life, a consequence of Michael's choice," she said.

Also testifying Monday was Christina Hadley Ellegood, whose younger sister Nicole was killed in the shooting. Ellegood has written about the pain of seeing her sister's body and having to call their mom and tell her Nicole had been shot.

"I had no one to turn to who understood what I was going through," she said Monday. "For me, it's not fair for him to be able to roam around with freedom when we live in fear of where he might be."

The two-person panel of the full parole board only has the option to release him or defer his next opportunity for parole for up to five years. Because they could not agree on those options, they sent the case to a meeting of the full board next Monday.

Hollan Holm, who was wounded that day, spoke Monday about lying on the floor of the high school lobby, bleeding from his head and believing he was going to die. But he said Carneal was too young to comprehend the full consequences of his actions and should have a chance at supervised release.

"When I think of Michael Carneal, I think of the child I rode the bus with every day," he said. "I think of the child I shared a lunch table with in third grade. I think of what he could have become if, on that day, he had it somewhere in him to make a different choice or take a different path."

Related Stories: 

Copyright 2022 WDRB Media. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved.