CLARKSVILLE, Ind. (WDRB) -- A man wanted in connection with the fatal shooting of a woman in Clarksville early Wednesday is behind bars after being arrested in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

The Clarksville Police Department said the shooting happened around 4:15 a.m. in the 100 block of East Harrison Avenue, near Stansifer Avenue. 

According to a news release from Clarksville Police Chief Mark Palmer, the victim, now identified as Michelle Slaughter, was shot several times at the home. She died at the scene.

The suspect, Thomas Smith, was taken into custody later that day in Bowling Green, more than 100 miles away from Clarksville.

The Warren County, Kentucky, Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post that Bowling Green Police officers found Smith's truck parked in a hotel parking lot in Bowling Green off Exit 28.

"The Bowling Green Police Department had identified the vehicle parked, so we (Warren County Sheriff's Office) were contacted and then we basically got a team of officers together to approach that vehicle and located Mr. Smith, who was asleep in that vehicle," said Warren County Sheriff Brett Hightower.

Smith was taken into custody and booked into the Warren County Regional Jail where he is waiting to be extradited back to Clark County.

It's unclear why Smith went to Bowling Green.

"He just pulled in there I guess to try and get a little bit of rest. I don't know what his intentions were to go from there. We couldn't find any information that led us to believe he had any contacts or friends or family here locally," said Hightower.

According to Clark County Prosecuting Attorney Jeremy Mull, Smith and Slaughter knew each other. He said he doesn't believe there is any danger to the community.

"This was not a murder that occurred between strangers. This was a situation where these two individuals knew each other," said Mull. "There is evidence they had possibly been in some sort of a relationship prior to this."

People who live in the area were shocked by the news. They described the neighborhood using the same word: quiet.

"I seen the police out there with the flashlights, checking for footprints or whatever," said Debra Flynn, who lives nearby. "That was ... kind of scary ... in this area anyway."

According to court documents, a witness told investigators Smith walked into the home Wednesday morning, arguing could be heard inside the home, then "two loud bangs."  

Copyright 2021 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.