LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) -- Arkansas men's basketball has officially announced John Calipari as the team's head coach.

After 15 years as Kentucky men's basketball coach, Calipari stepped down Tuesday, saying that the "program probably needs to hear another voice." The 65-year-old replaces Eric Musselman, who left after four seasons to become the coach at Southern California

Calipari signed a five-year contract with an annual base salary of $7 million through April 2029 with a maximum of two automatic rollover years for NCAA Tournament appearances that would extend the contract to 2031. The deal includes a $1 million signing bonus and features retention bonuses of $500,000 each year of the contract along with one-time bonuses for making the NCAA Tournament, reaching the second round, Sweet 16, Final Four and winning a national championship.

Arkansas vice chancellor and director of athletics Hunter Yurachek announced Calipari’s hiring in a news release. An introductory news conference is scheduled for Wednesday evening in Fayetteville.

Now that it is official that John Calipari is headed to Arkansas, the focus shifts to Kentucky's athletics director.

Calipari posted a video on X, formerly known as Twitter, in which he said that after talking with his wife, Ellen, he decided a change was needed. He added, "We've loved it here, but we think it’s time for us to step away and step away completely from the program."

Calipari leaves a Wildcats program he guided to the 2012 NCAA championship among four Final Four appearances. He went 410-123 in 15 seasons. The past few seasons have been disappointing by Kentucky standards, with a 1-3 mark in its last three NCAA Tournament trips, including first-round losses to No. 14 seed Oakland last month and No. 15 seed Saint Peter’s two years ago.

The Wildcats' most recent loss set off immediate calls to fire Calipari before athletic director Mitch Barnhart said days later that Calipari would return next season. Firing Calipari would’ve triggered a buyout of more than $33 million under the terms of a 10-year, so-called lifetime contract signed in 2019.

Calipari leaves a Wildcats program he guided to the 2012 NCAA championship among four Final Four appearances. He went 410-123 in 15 seasons. The past few seasons have been disappointing by Kentucky standards, with a 1-3 mark in its last three NCAA Tournament trips, including first-round losses to No. 14 seed Oakland last month and No. 15 seed Saint Peter’s two years ago.

Now that it is official that John Calipari is headed to Arkansas, the focus shifts to Kentucky's athletics director.

The Wildcats' most recent loss set off immediate calls to fire Calipari before athletic director Mitch Barnhart said days later that Calipari would return next season. Firing Calipari would’ve triggered a buyout of more than $33 million under the terms of a 10-year, so-called lifetime contract signed in 2019.

Barnhart said in a statement that Kentucky would work diligently to hire "a proven, highly dedicated coach who embraces the importance of this program to our fans and the state of Kentucky.”

The AD added: “We’re appreciative of John Calipari leading our program for the last 15 years, adding to the legacy of championship success at Kentucky. We’re grateful to John for his many contributions to the university, and our state, both on and off the court.”

Related Stories:

Copyright 2024 WDRB Media. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All Rights Reserved.