LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — Another major contender is out of the Preakness Stakes.
Silent Tactic, who was expected to be among the favorites for Saturday's 151st Preakness at Laurel Park, has been withdrawn from consideration after trainer Mark Casse was unhappy with the colt's movement during training Monday morning.
The news continued a week-long reshaping of the Preakness field, which has lost Kentucky Derby winner Golden Tempo, Grade 2 Pat Day Mile winner Crude Velocity and several other prospective starters ahead of Monday evening's post-position draw at Laurel Race Course.
Silent Tactic had been scratched from the Kentucky Derby because of a bruised left front foot and had been working toward a return in the Preakness.
Louisville | Kentucky | Indiana | Eric Crawford
But after removing a protective full pad and switching the colt back into a regular shoe, Casse said the horse still wasn't moving well enough to proceed.
"He gallops good, he's not 100 percent jogging," Casse told Daily Racing Form. "We're going to work on getting his foot better before we do anything."
Silent Tactic had finished second to Derby runner-up Renegade in the Grade 1 Arkansas Derby and figured to be one of the more accomplished horses in a Preakness field that now appears unusually wide open.
With Silent Tactic out, only two graded stakes winners remain expected in the field — Grade 1 Champagne Stakes winner Napoleon Solo and Grade 3 Gotham Stakes winner Iron Honor.
The defections have dramatically altered the complexion of the race.
Golden Tempo, trained by Cherie DeVaux, officially bypassed the Preakness last week in favor of the Belmont Stakes, continuing a growing trend of Derby winners skipping the second leg of the Triple Crown in favor of additional rest.
Bob Baffert also announced last week that Crude Velocity would skip the Preakness after his victory in the Pat Day Mile.
Despite the departures, the field is still expected to include several intriguing contenders, including Derby third-place finisher Ocelli, local hopeful Taj Mahal, and Steve Asmussen-trained Chip Honcho, who may now emerge among the favorites.
Asmussen said Sunday he believes Chip Honcho enters the race in an ideal situation after skipping the Kentucky Derby following a disappointing effort in the Louisiana Derby.
"I think we're in a very good place with him right now," Asmussen said. "I'm anxious because I think we have a very good opportunity going in."Â
Jose Ortiz, who rode Golden Tempo to victory in the Kentucky Derby, is expected to ride Chip Honcho on Saturday.
Meanwhile, trainer John Ennis confirmed Monday that Great White — scratched moments before the Kentucky Derby after flipping behind the starting gate — remains on track for the Preakness after training well over the weekend.
The 151st Preakness Stakes will be run Saturday at Laurel Park while historic Pimlico Race Course undergoes renovation. Entries and post positions are scheduled to be drawn Monday evening.
Copyright 2026 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.