LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WDRB) — London Johnson's unusual Louisville basketball career is over without him ever playing a game for the Cardinals.
Louisville announced Friday that Johnson, the former NBA G League guard whose signing last fall made national headlines, has been dismissed from the men's basketball program.
A statement released by the program says "London Johnson has been dismissed from the University of Louisville men's basketball team due to a violation of team rules and University policy. We wish him the best in his future endeavors."
The university provided no additional details about the nature of the violation.
Johnson's dismissal brings an abrupt end to an experiment Louisville coach Pat Kelsey enthusiastically embraced when the Cardinals signed Johnson last November.
At the time, Johnson was one of the first players with extensive G League experience to return to college basketball. He had played 100 G League games over parts of three seasons after leaving high school early to join G League Ignite at age 17.
Kelsey didn't merely welcome Johnson to Louisville. He publicly defended the opportunity Johnson was receiving.
"He is a trailblazer in a lot of ways and has handled the unwarranted scrutiny like the mature, classy young man that he is," Kelsey said when Louisville announced Johnson's signing. "In my opinion, he deserves an opportunity to play collegiate basketball like every other player within his five-year window from high school."
Johnson joined the Cardinals at the semester break last season with the intention of practicing with the team while redshirting and preparing to play in 2026-27.
That plan briefly changed in January.
With starting point guard Mikel Brown Jr. sidelined by a back injury and Louisville dealing with other injuries in its backcourt, Kelsey announced that Johnson would be activated and available to play against Boston College.
Johnson dressed but did not enter the game.
Three days later, after Louisville's loss to Virginia, Kelsey announced that Johnson had reconsidered and would preserve his redshirt. Kelsey took responsibility for pushing the situation, saying he had been "really aggressive" in trying to get Johnson ready to help an injury-depleted team.
Johnson remained with the Cardinals for the rest of the season and was expected to compete for playing time this season.
Instead, his Louisville career ends before it officially began.
Johnson arrived with a basketball résumé unlike almost anyone who had entered the program.
A native of Norcross, Georgia, he was a four-star prospect and helped Norcross High School win a Georgia Class 7A state championship before reclassifying and joining G League Ignite. He later played for the Maine Celtics and Cleveland Charge.
His best professional season came with Ignite in 2023-24, when he averaged 10.6 points, 5.1 assists and 2.2 rebounds.
His decision to return to college basketball became part of a larger national conversation about the rapidly changing definition of eligibility in college sports.
Kelsey made clear from the beginning that Louisville intended to be on the leading edge of those changes.
"Times have changed," Kelsey said when Johnson signed. "And we choose to embrace change rather than just complain about it ... especially when it creates opportunities for student-athletes like London."
Kelsey also said Johnson brought "experience, talent, toughness and a winning mindset" to the program.
"Like all of the players that are welcomed into our organization," Kelsey said then, "his life is about to change for the better, which is what we do."
Nine months later, Johnson is no longer part of that organization.
Louisville has not said whether Johnson remains enrolled at the university.
This story will be updated.
Copyright 2026 WDRB Media. All Rights Reserved.